Animating with code may seem intimidating at first, but don’t worry – the GreenSock Animation Platform (GSAP) was engineered to make it simple and intuitive. The platform is also highly optimized for performance and unprecedented flexibility. Hang in there through the learning curve and you’ll be glad you did.
The GreenSock Animation Platform is a suite of tools for scripted animation. It includes:
- TweenLite: the core of the engine which handles animating just about any property of any object. It is relatively lightweight yet full-featured and can be expanded using optional plugins (like CSSPlugin for animating DOM element styles in the browser, or ScrollToPlugin scrolling to a specific location on a page or div, etc.)
- TweenMax: think of it like TweenLite’s beefy big brother; it does everything TweenLite can do plus non-essentials like repeat, yoyo, repeatDelay, updateTo(), etc. It includes many common plugins too like CSSPlugin so that you don’t need to load as many files. The focus is on being full-featured rather than lightweight.
- TimelineLite: a powerful, lightweight sequencing tool that acts like a container for tweens, making it simple to control them as a whole and precisely manage their timing in relation to each other. You can even nest timelines inside other timelines as deeply as you want. This allows you to modularize your animation workflow easily.
- TimelineMax: extends TimelineLite, offering exactly the same functionality plus useful (but non-essential) features like repeat, repeatDelay, yoyo, currentLabel(), and many more. Again, just like TweenMax does for TweenLite, TimelineMax aims to be the ultimate full-featured tool rather than lightweight.
- Extras like easing tools, motion paths, plugins, blitting tools, and more